Using A Blog to Drive Free Web Site Traffic
To start with, you need to understand that every online business needs web site traffic.
I will repeat that: Every online business needs web site traffic to succeed. Why? Like any business, online or offline, you absolutely must have customers if you want your business to grow.
When it comes to traffic, you’ve really got two categories to work in:
Free web site traffic and Paid web site traffic.
This article focuses on how you can use a blog to drive free web site traffic.
Free traffic is, like the name suggests: Free. But there is a price for “free”. What you do not spend in money, you will spend in time. Be prepared to put in some time and effort if you want to benefit from free web site traffic.
Let’s look at how blogging helps.
Anyone who knows me knows I’m a big fan of blog posts. (You’re reading one, now) Why am I such a big fan? When you have your own blog, you are able to take advantage of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategies. If you are not familiar with SEO, think of it as a method of using specific keywords to help a website or blog rank high in the top search engines, such as Google or Bing.
Operating a blog is an easy way for you to create content people WANT to read. When you post consistent (high quality) blog content using SEO keywords, traffic to your blog will increase over time. This is also a solid way to build authority, credibility, and trust.
As you continue to provide valuable content, and people continue to read your posts, you will begin to be seen as an expert or authority in your field.
General Guidelines to follow
- Focus. Keep your subject matter on a specific topic
- Be creative. Use headlines that entice people to read
- Avoid long paragraphs and big words.
- Include a specific system of formula (2 types, 7 steps…etc.)
- Provide a call-to-action (CTA)
Make sure you use social media share plug-ins on your blog. The more traffic your blog gets, the more social media shares you can get. Media shares can definitely improve your blog’s overall ranking on search engines.
What about blogs run by others?
When you find other blogs related to your industry, make relevant and valuable comments. Popular blogs already have a big following. Participating in the discussions can help increase your exposure to their visitors which can increase your traffic.
Follow these guidelines:
- Type popular industry keywords + blog into Google and find the most prominent blogs.
- Follow those blogs closely. Subscribe to their RSS feed and newsletter. When you notice posts are made and be one of the first to post a comment. Make sure this comment provides real value.
- Include a link to your relevant capture page. This can be included as a sort of signature to the comment.
NOTE: Be careful about linking back to your website. Some blog comment sections frown on this. Check the guidelines. When in doubt, ask.
For more tips on driving free web site traffic and email marketing, request our free report, below: